Audi A1 Controls Automatic gearbox S tronic® gearbox
Applies to Audi A1s: with S tronic gearbox
The selector lever position engaged is highlighted on the display in the instrument cluster. In positions D and S, the display will also show which gear is currently engaged.
P - Parking lock
When the selector lever is in this position, the driven wheels are locked mechanically. The parking lock must only be engaged when the Audi A1 is stationary WARNING!.
The interlock button (the button in the selector lever handle) must be pressed in and the brake pedal must be depressed before moving the selector lever either in or out of position P.
R – Reverse gear
Reverse gear must only be engaged when the Audi A1 is stationary and the engine is idling WARNING!.
To move the selector lever to position R, press in the interlock button and at the same time press the brake pedal. The reversing lights come on when the selector lever is in the R position with the ignition on.
N - Neutral
In this position, the gearbox is in neutral.
D – Drive (forwards)
In this position, the forward gears are shifted up and down automatically according to the engine load and road speed.
Press the brake pedal when moving the selector lever from N to D if the Audi A1 is stationary or at speeds below 5 km/h WARNING!.
S - Sport position
Select position S if you wish to take full advantage of the car's performance. Upshifts are then delayed to make use of the maximum engine power.
Press the brake pedal when moving the selector lever from N to S if the Audi A1 is stationary or at speeds below 5 km/h WARNING!.
Applies to 1.4 TFSI engine with 136 kW: The engine idling speed automatically increases when you move the selector lever to position S. This gives a more agile response for standing starts.
- Never move the selector lever to R or P when driving, as this could cause an accident.
- In all selector positions except P the Audi A1 must always be held with the foot brake when the engine is running. This is because an automatic gearbox still transmits power even at idling speed, and the Audi A1 tends to "creep". The accelerator pedal must on no account be pressed inadvertently when a gear is engaged with the Audi A1 stationary. If this were to happen, the Audi A1 would start to move immediately, and even a firmly applied handbrake might not restrain it (accident risk).
- To avoid accidents, apply the handbrake firmly and put the selector lever in position P before opening the bonnet and working on the Audi A1 with the engine running. Please observe the important safety warnings Link.
- If the lever is moved accidentally to N when driving, release the accelerator and let the engine speed drop to idling before selecting D or S again.
- It is not possible to move the selector lever out of position P if the electrical power supply fails. In this case, the selector lever can be released manually Link.