Audi A1 General maintenance Care of Audi A1 and cleaning Care of exterior
The longer substances like insects, bird droppings, resinous tree sap, road dirt, industrial deposits, tar, soot or road salt and other aggressive materials remain on the Audi A1, the more damage they do to the paintwork. High temperatures (for instance in strong sunlight) further intensify the corrosive effect.
After the period when salt is put on the roads it is important to have the underside of the Audi A1 washed thoroughly.
Automatic car washes
Before going through a car wash, be sure to take the usual precautions, such as closing the windows and sun roof, and follow the car wash operator's rules and recommendations. If your car has a removable aerial, please unscrew it before using the car wash. If the Audi A1 has special accessories such as spoilers or a roof carrier or two-way radio aerial, etc., it is advisable to consult the car wash operator.
It is best to use a car wash without revolving bristles if possible.
Washing your car with a high-pressure cleaner
When cleaning the Audi A1 with a high-pressure cleaner, always follow the operating instructions for the equipment. This applies particularly to the operating pressure and the spraying distance. Do not hold the nozzle too close to soft materials such as rubber hoses or seals. The same applies to the parking sensors*, which are located in the rear bumper.
Do not use a nozzle that sprays the water out in a direct stream or one that has a rotating jet for forcing off dirt.
Washing the car by hand
When washing the car by hand, use plenty of water to soften the dirt first, and rinse off as well as possible.
Then clean the Audi A1 with a soft sponge, glove or brush, using only slight pressure. You should start on the roof and work down. Special car shampoo should only be used for very persistent dirt.
Rinse the sponge or glove thoroughly and often.
Wheels, sills and similar should be cleaned last. Use a second sponge for this.
- Do not wash the Audi A1 with the ignition switched on – risk of accident.
- Do not clean the underside of the car or inside the wheel arches without protecting your hands and arms. You may cut yourself on sharp metal parts.
- Take care when washing the car during the winter: moisture and ice on the brakes may affect braking efficiency – this could cause an accident.
- Do not wash the Audi A1 in direct sunlight – this can damage the paintwork.
- Do not use insect sponges, or abrasive household sponges, etc. – they can damage the surfaces.
- Clean off stubborn dirt (insects, etc.) from the headlight lenses at regular intervals, for instance when stopping for fuel. The headlights should only be washed with water - do not wipe them with a dry cloth or sponge. It is best to use soapy water.
- Never wash tyres with a jet that sprays the water out in a direct stream. This could damage the tyres - even if the spray is kept at a distance and only used for a very short time.
For the sake of the environment
The car should only be washed in special wash bays. This prevents oily water from getting into the public drains. In some districts, washing Audi A1s anywhere else may be prohibited.