Audi A1 General maintenance Checking and topping up fluids Engine compartment
Extra caution is necessary when working on components in the engine compartment.
Always be aware of the danger of injury and scalding as well as the risk of accident or fire when working in the engine compartment (e.g. when checking and refilling fluids). Always observe the warnings listed below and follow all normal safety precautions. The engine compartment of any motor Audi A1 is a potentially hazardous area WARNING!.
- Switch off the engine.
- Remove the ignition key.
- Apply the handbrake firmly.
- On Audi A1s with manual gearbox place the gear lever in neutral, on Audi A1s with automatic gearbox move the selector lever to position P.
- Wait for the engine to cool down.
- Keep children away from engine compartment.
- Never spill fluids on hot engine components. These fluids can cause a fire (e.g. radiator anti-freeze).
- Take care not to cause short circuits in the electrical system, especially when working on the battery.
- When working in the engine compartment be aware that the radiator fan may start running suddenly, even if the ignition is switched off – risk of injury.
- Do not unscrew the cap on the expansion tank when the engine is hot. The cooling system is under pressure.
- Protect face, hands and arms by covering the cap with a large, thick rag to protect against escaping coolant and steam.
- If any tests have to be performed with the engine running, there is an extra safety risk from the rotating parts, such as the drive belts, alternator and radiator fan, etc., and from the high-voltage ignition system.
Observe the following additional warnings if work on the fuel system or the electrical system is necessary:
- Always disconnect the battery
- Do not smoke
- Never work near open flames
- Always keep an approved fire extinguisher immediately available.
When topping up fluids make sure the correct fluid is put into the correct filler opening. This can otherwise cause serious malfunctions or engine damage.
For the sake of the environment
Inspect the ground underneath your Audi A1 regularly so that any leaks are detected at an early stage. If you find oil spots or other fluids, have your Audi A1 inspected by a qualified workshop.
On right-hand drive Audi A1s* some of the containers / reservoirs mentioned below are located on the other side of the engine compartment.