►Audi MMI ►Communication ◀Audi connect
You can use your MMI system as a Wi-Fi hotspot for connecting to the Internet on up to eight Wi-Fi devices. Small, light Wi-Fi devices that are not permanently attached to the Audi A6 must only be operated from the rear seats while the Audi A6 is moving.
Important: The ignition must be switched on.
Select: TEL button > control button Settings > Network connection (WLAN).
You can select the following settings in the Network connection (WLAN) menu:
The Wi-Fi hotspot is deactivated when the Audi A6 leaves the factory. Set the Wi-Fi hotspot to visible before establishing a connection between your Audi A6 and your Wi-Fi device.
- off: To deactivate the MMI system's Wi-Fi hotspot. It will not be possible to establish an Internet connection.
- visible: To activate the MMI system's Wi-Fi hotspot and use it to establish an Internet connection.
- invisible: To keep the MMI system's Wi-Fi hotspot active, but to make it invisible for other devices. It will not be possible to connect to new Wi-Fi devices.
The Wi-Fi connection between your Audi A6 and the Wi-Fi device (laptop or mobile phone) is encrypted. Before a connection can be established, you must enter the following values/settings when setting up your Wi-Fi device (these values can be edited as required):
- Access point (SSID): Name of the Wi-Fi network.
- Encryption type: WPA2.
- Password: Depending on the encryption type, a password is generated in the MMI system to encrypt the Wi-Fi connection. This password can be changed. Please select a secure password. With encryption type WPA2, the password must be at least 8 characters (max. 63 characters) long.
- Discoverability: To switch the discoverability of the Wi-Fi network on or off.
- Use settings: To copy the new settings into the MMI system. Subsequently, you must update the changes on your mobile Wi-Fi device.
- Do not allow the features of the Wi-Fi hotspot to distract you from watching the traffic – taking your eyes off the road can cause an accident.
- Laptop computers and similar devices can only be operated safely when the Audi A6 is stationary because of their weight; any loose objects can be catapulted through the Audi A6 in an accident and cause serious injuries. Always make sure that such devices are securely stowed while you are driving.
- No Wi-Fi devices may be used from the front seats in the areas around the airbags while the Audi A6 is being driven. Please also observe the safety warnings in the chapter "Airbag system" under "Important safety notes on the front airbag system" in the separate Owner's Manual for your Audi A6.
Please note that it is your responsibility to take precautions regarding data protection, anti-virus protection and protection against loss of data on mobile devices used to connect to the Internet via the Wi-Fi hotspot.
- You might require a separate mobile phone contract with extra costs before you can use the Wi-Fi hotspot. For more information, contact your service provider.
- Depending on your mobile phone tariff, you may be charged for receiving data packets online via the Wi-Fi hotspot, especially if you are using the system abroad. We strongly recommend that you use a data flat rate. For more information, contact your service provider.
- For more information on Audi connect services, visit www.audi.com/connect or ask an Audi dealer.